Although NuvaRing, Merck & Company’s vaginal contraceptive device, is most commonly linked to Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), Pulmonary Embolism (PE) and Metrorrhagia, hundreds of other injuries have also been reported. Some of the most recent NuvaRing injury reports include Cardiac Failure, Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) and Cholelithiasis.
NuvaRing Side Effects
According to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA), the three most commonly reported NuvaRing side effects include Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), Pulmonary Embolism (PE) and Metrorrhagia:
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) – a life threatening blood clot that forms in a vein deep inside a part of the body and affects the large veins in the lower leg and thigh.
- Pulmonary Embolism (PE) – a life threatening blood clot that forms in a deep vein that can travel to an artery in the lungs, block blood flow, damage the lungs and cause death.
- Metrorrhagia – a serious condition involving uterine bleeding at irregular intervals that generally occurs at times other than expected menstrual periods.
However, these are not the only NuvaRing injuries that have been reported. According to FDA statistics, the following are some of the most recent NuvaRing side effects reported by women across the United States:
- Angina Pectoris – chest pain
- Arthralgia – joint and musculoskeletal pain
- Cholelithiasis – gallstone disease
- Coital Bleeding – bleeding after vaginal sex
- Coronary Artery Embolism – artery blockage in the heart
- Dyspareunia – painful sexual intercourse
- Hypercoagulation – thickened blood
- Hyperinsulinemia – a condition in which there are excess levels of insulin circulating in the blood relative to the level of glucose
- Mitral Valve Incompetence – a disorder of the heart in which the mitral valve does not close properly when the heart pumps out blood
- Myocardial Infarction – heart attack
- Pulmonary Embolism – a sudden blockage in a lung artery
- Sinus Antrostomy – a surgical procedure in which the maxillary sinus is opened so that it can drain properly
- Tricuspid Valve Incompetence – when the heart’s tricuspid valve does not close tightly enough to prevent leakage
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Ventricular Hypertrophy – the thickening of the ventricular walls (lower chambers) in the heart
- Vulvovaginal Candidiasis – an infection of the vagina’s mucous membranes
Unfortunately, the list goes on and on. Over 1,600 women have had to be hospitalized. More than 250 women are now considered disabled and 81 women have died – yet NuvaRing continues to be sold.
How Can The Driscoll Firm, LLC, Help You?
The Driscoll Firm, LLC’s experienced product liability lawyers have resolved thousands of injury cases against corporations, drug companies, manufacturers and other responsible parties. Let our firm investigate the facts of your case, explore all realistic options, discuss the possibility of bringing a legal claim for money damages and analyze the risks of litigation and likely outcomes. Contact us today for a free and confidential consultation.