Verdicts and Settlements
John J. Driscoll is an advocate for the injured whose track record speaks for itself.
His achievements have earned him acceptance into the prestigious Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, which limit memberships to lawyers who have won million-dollar and multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements. Fewer than one percent of American lawyers are members.
Mass Litigation and Class Action Lawsuits
Mr. Driscoll has vast experience and expertise in complex litigation, including mass torts and class action lawsuits:
- Baycol class action. Mr. Driscoll has been appointed co-lead class counsel for a class of Illinois purchasers of the withdrawn Bayer drug Baycol. That case alleges that the pharmaceutical manufacturer violated the Illinois Consumer Fraud Act by concealing material terms from consumers in selling the drug. De Bouse, et al. v. Bayer AG, et al., 373 Ill. App. 3d 774, 869 N.E.2d 365 (2007).
- Sale of Paxil to minors. Mr. Driscoll resolved a pharmaceutical purchaser action alleging violations of the Illinois Consumer Fraud Act associated with the sale of the anti-depressant drug Paxil to minors and adolescents in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois, Baldwin, et al. v. SmithKline Beecham Corporation, et al. (Case No. 3:06-cv-01031-MJR-DGW; confidential settlement).
- Sears and consumer fraud. Mr. Driscoll serves as class counsel in the prosecution of an Illinois Consumer Fraud Act class action against Sears, Roebuck and Company, pending in St. Clair County, Illinois, Bradley, et al. v. Sears, Roebuck and Co. (Case No. 06-L-95).
- Improper marketing of Celexa. Mr. Driscoll was recently appointed co-lead class counsel in a Missouri class action involving the pharmaceutical anti-depressant Celexa. That suit alleges that Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc., the maker of Celexa, improperly marketed the drug for use by minors and adolescents in violation of the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act. Crawford, et al. v. Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Case no. 0922-CC08347; St. Louis City, Missouri).
Lone Verdict in Vioxx Litigation
- Wrongful death and Vioxx. Mr. Driscoll was the plaintiff’s lawyer in the only Vioxx suit in Illinois that was tried to verdict. In February of 2007, Mr. Driscoll served as co-lead trial counsel in the wrongful death case of Schwaller v. Merck & Co., Inc., Case No. 05-L-687. In Schwaller, the family of Patricia Schwaller alleged that her 20 months of continuous Vioxx use contributed to her fatal heart attack on August 8, 2003.
- $4.85 billion settlement agreement with Vioxx. Mr. Driscoll represented 422 families and individuals alleged to have suffered injuries from Vioxx. The litigation resulted in a $4.85 billion settlement. Merck agreed to resolve approximately 50,000 claims of myocardial infarction, sudden cardiac death, and ischemic stroke after withdrawing Vioxx from the market in 2004. [Note, the family members in Schwaller v. Merck were compensated under this settlement process.]
- Consumer fraud and Vioxx. Mr. Driscoll has served on the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in a class action premised upon the violations of the Illinois Consumer Fraud Act concerning the withdrawn pharmaceutical product Vioxx. Amisch, et al. v. Merck & Co., Inc. (Cook County, Illinois; Case No. 05-CH-13176 Consolidated With 06-L-10107 and 07-L-6719).
Multiple Plaintiffs and Complex Litigation
- K.V. Pharmaceuticals recall. Mr. Driscoll represents 23 plaintiffs in litigation alleging injury from products recalled by K.V. Pharmaceuticals and Ethex Corporation. Fox, et al. v. K-V Pharmaceutical Company, et al. (Case No. 09-L-286; St. Clair Co., Illinois), Handle, et al. v. K-V Pharmaceutical Company, et al. (Case No. 1022-CC12050; St. Louis City, Missouri). He has also filed a class action petition alleging that K.V. Pharmaceuticals, Inc., and Ethex Corporation violated the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act in their sale of known defective products to consumers. Herndon, et al. v. K-V Pharmaceutical Company, et al. (Case No. 1122-CC00193; St. Louis City, Missouri).
- 266 Plaintiffs against Bayer. Mr. Driscoll served as lead counsel in the claims of nearly 266 plaintiffs in the following matters: Brown, et al. v. Bayer Corporation, et al. (Case No. 09-L-439; St. Clair Co., Illinois), Gilmore, et al. v. Bayer Corporation, et al. (Case No. 09-L-496; St. Clair Co., Illinois), Bancroft, et al. v. Bayer Corporation, et al. (Case No. 09-L-497; St. Clair Co., Illinois), Lecker, et al. v. Bayer Corporation, et al. (Case No. 09-L-498; St. Clair Co., Illinois), Argento, et al. v. Bayer Corporation, et al. (Case No. 0922-CC09567; St. Louis City, Missouri), and Coleman, et al. v. Bayer Corporation, et al. (Case No. 1022-CC09990-01; St. Louis City, Missouri), all involving the pharmaceutical product Trasylol.
- Femur fractures and Fosamax. Mr. Driscoll represents more than 70 women who have suffered long bone femur fractures from their continuous use of osteoporosis drugs, including Fosamax. Welch, et al. v. Merck, Sharpe & Dohme Corporation, et al. (Case No. 1122-CC00717; St. Louis City, Missouri).
- 63 Plaintiffs Against Ketek. Mr. Driscoll was counsel for 63 plaintiffs in Austin, et al. v. Sanofi-Aventis U.S. LLC (Case No. 07-L-525; St. Clair Co., Illinois), involving the drug Ketek.
- 9 Plaintiffs Against Celebrex. Mr. Driscoll successfully resolved the claims of 9 plaintiffs in Madison County, Illinois in White, et al. v. Pfizer, Inc., et al. (Case No. 2007-L-325) and in Wiese, et al. v. Pfizer, Inc., et al. (Case No. 007-L-324) in claims involving Celebrex (confidential settlement).
- 28 Claims Against Ortho Evra. Mr. Driscoll resolved 28 pharmaceutical product liability claims to the satisfaction of 28 women alleged to have suffered injury from the birth control patch Ortho Evra (confidential settlement).
- Phenylpropanolamine (PPA) Litigation. Mr. Driscoll was involved in the successful resolution of several cases in the Phenylpropanolamine (PPA) litigation. He litigated Keller v. Wyeth, Inc., et al. (Case No. 09-MI-304007); and Angelopoulos v. GlaxoSmithKline PLC, et al. (Case No. 03-L-014511) (confidential settlement) in Cook County, Illinois.
- 232 Plaintiffs in Defribillator Litigation. Mr. Driscoll successfully resolved the claims of approximately 232 plaintiffs in the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota alleging injury from defective defibrillators manufactured by Guidant Corporation (confidential settlement), and other plaintiffs alleging injury from defective defibrillators manufactured by Medtronic (settlement pending).
- 18 Plaintiffs Against General Electric. Mr. Driscoll represented 18 plaintiffs alleged to have been stricken with Nephrogenic Fibrosing Dermopathy, a rare incurable skin disorder caused by the injection of an MRI contrast agent, Omniscan, manufactured by General Electric. McCallum, et al. v. General Electric Company, et al. (08-L-394; St. Clair County, Illinois).
- 1,705 Plaintiffs against SmithKline. Mr. Driscoll represented more than 1,705 plaintiffs in pharmaceutical injury claims against SmithKline Beecham and GlaxoSmithKline.
- 49 Claims Against Avandia. Mr. Driscoll represents plaintiffs in 49 claims pending in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, Avandia MDL-1871, involving the pharmaceutical product Avandia.
Contact a National Injury Litigation Lawyer Today
Put the experience of The Driscoll Firm, LLC, and its results to work for you. The Driscoll Firm, LLC, is currently investigating national injury claims from faulty drugs, defective medical devices, dangerous products, medical malpractice, birth injury, cerebral palsy cases, automobile personal injury, premises liability, spinal cord injuries, brain injuries and dog bites. Call The Driscoll Firm, P.C., at 314-932-3232 today to speak to an experienced injury attorney about your case.