Actos – Injuries Include Bladder Cancer
The most serious risk of Actos taken by patients for diabetes is an increased risk of bladder cancer. The FDA has ordered changes to the Actos warning label to point out this risk, which has been shown in research studies.
Bladder cancer can be fatal.
If you or a loved one believes that you might have an injury claim related to the use of Actos for diabetes, please contact The Driscoll Firm, LLC, at 314-932-3232 for a free consultation. We will be happy to discuss your legal rights, including the possibility of bringing a lawsuit to obtain financial compensation.
Compensation Might Be Available for Actos Injuries
The FDA is reviewing data on the safety and risks of Actos as part of a 10-year epidemiological study. That study is ongoing, but analysis of the five-year results prompted the FDA to issue a Safety Announcement in 2011. The study revealed “an increased risk of bladder cancer” among patients with the longest exposure to Actos and in those exposed to the highest cumulative dose of Actos.
Taking Actos longer than 12 months appeared to cause the risk of bladder cancer to jump significantly. The FDA calculated that duration of therapy longer than 12 months was associated with 27.5 excess cases of bladder cancer per 100,000 person-years follow-up, compared to never using Actos.
Patients have been advised by the FDA as follows:
- There may be an increased chance of having bladder cancer when you take Actos.
- You should not take Actos if you are receiving treatment for bladder cancer.
- Tell your doctor right away if you have any of the following symptoms of bladder cancer: blood or red color in urine; urgent need to urinate or pain while urinating; pain in back or lower abdomen.
- Read the Medication Guide you get along with your Actos medicine. It explains the risks associated with the use of Actos.
- Talk to your healthcare professional if you have questions or concerns about Actos medicines.
Contact an Actos Litigation Lawyer Today
Across the nation, people who have been injured or placed at risk of injury as a result of Actos are taking legal action. In some cases, financial compensation might be available. If you think you might have an Actos claim, contact an experienced injury attorney at The Driscoll Firm, LLC, for a confidential case evaluation today. Call 314-932-3232.
The Driscoll Firm, LLC, has a proven record of fighting for people injured by pharmaceuticals such as Actos and securing compensation they need and deserve.
For more information: