John J. Driscoll is a fighter and advocate for people who have suffered injury or loss as result of the wrongful acts of others. He only represents plaintiffs. His practice is focused on mass torts, consumer class actions, products liability, and personal-injury litigation, mostly involving pharmaceuticals.
Mr. Driscoll has resolved thousands of injury cases against corporations, drug companies, manufacturers and other responsible parties. His achievements have earned him acceptance into the prestigious Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Fewer than one percent of American lawyers are members.
Education and Experience
Mr. Driscoll is licensed to practice law in Illinois (including Cook County), Missouri, and Minnesota. He is admitted to practice in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri, and the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota.
Mr. Driscoll received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Loyola University of Chicago and his Juris Doctorate from Saint Louis University School of Law. Before law school, Mr. Driscoll was appointed Jury Commissioner for the Twentieth Judicial Circuit Court of Illinois (St. Clair County, a/k/a East St. Louis).
He began the practice of law as an Assistant Public Defender in Illinois. It was in that office – trying countless misdemeanor and felony criminal cases to verdict – that he learned how to win in the courtroom. It was there also, in the crowded hallways of criminal court, that he learned how to fight for the underdog.
After leaving the Public Defender’s Office, he served as an in-chamber law clerk for two consecutive Illinois Appellate Court Justices. This experience gave him a unique behind-the-scenes glimpse into the machinery of the judicial process. He got to see first-hand how judge make their decisions.
Mass Litigation and Class Actions
A special area of interest and expertise is mass tort litigation and class action lawsuits:
- Bayer/Baycol. Mr. Driscoll served as co-lead counsel for a class of Illinois purchasers of the withdrawn Bayer pharmaceutical product, Baycol.
- Paxil. He resolved a purchaser action against SmithKline Beecham Corporation involving alleged violations of the Illinois Consumer Fraud Act and the sale of the anti-depressant drug Paxil to minors and adolescents.
- Celexa. He has been appointed to serve as co-lead class counsel in a Missouri class action involving the anti-depressant Celexa, alleging that its maker, Forest Pharmaceuticals Inc., improperly marketed the pharmaceutical for use by minors and adolescents.
- Vioxx. He represented 422 families and individuals in a mass action against Merck & Company Inc. that alleged they suffered injuries from using the anti-inflammatory drug, Vioxx. That litigation resulted in a $4.85-billion settlement agreement and an agreement by Merck to resolve approximately 50,000 claims for injuries after withdrawing Vioxx from the market.
- Defribillators. In Minnesota, Mr. Driscoll successfully resolved the claims of more than 200 plaintiffs alleging injury from defective defibrillators manufactured by Guidant Corporation and numerous other plaintiffs who claimed injury from defective defibrillators manufactured by Medtronic.
- See more of Mr. Driscoll’s case verdicts and settlements here.
Guest Speaker and Media Commentator
Mr. Driscoll’s rich and varied experience in mass torts has made him a highly popular speaker at professional conferences. He is pleased to accept these invitations so that he can share his knowledge of pharmaceutical and product liability litigation with other practitioners.
In June 2008 he spoke in Chicago at Mealey’s Pharmaceutical Litigation SuperConference on the topic of state consumer fraud acts as applied to pharmaceutical litigation. In 2007, he spoke at the Drug & Medical Device Litigation Conference. He was co-chair at a conference hosted by Harris Martin Publishing entitled The Science and Law Behind Permax, Zelnorm, EPO-Anemia Drugs & Ongoing Drug Litigation Battles. In 2006 he was co-chair for the Pharmaceutical & Human Tissue Litigation Conference: An In-depth Look at Seroquel, Ortho-Evra, Zyprexa & Human Tissue Transplant Litigation in Charleston, South Carolina.
Mr. Driscoll is frequently quoted in the media as a result of his prominence as an injury litigator. The Wall Street Journal and St. Louis Business Journal have sought his comments on various pharmaceutical or medical device lawsuits. Macleans reported on his lawsuit involving Merck’s pharmaceutical drug Gardasil.
Contact A National Injury Litigation Lawyer Today
People who are injured as the result of the wrongful acts of another – as well as family members who suffer the death or injury of a loved one – may be entitled to compensation. The Driscoll Firm, P.C. can help get it for you. The Driscoll Firm is investigating national injury claims from faulty drugs, defective medical devices, dangerous products, medical malpractice, automobile personal injury, premises liability and dog bites. Call The Driscoll Firm, P.C. at 1-800-305-9800 today to speak to an experienced injury attorney about your case.